Tips For Writers
I’m often asked for tips on writing. How do you become a writer? Below are a few of the things I’ve learned over my many years of writing, first on a Smith-Corona typewriter and currently on an iMac and iPad pro.
- Read, read, read, and then read more, especially the types of books you plan to write or are writing and some of the many excellent books on the writing craft. Go here to find some of my favorite writing books.
- Write, write, write, and then write a lot more. You have to write many words before you write any worthy of publication.
- Join a writers’ group. If there isn’t one near you, form one! Another idea: join an online critique group.
- Go to writers’ conferences and other literary events where you can meet editors, agents, and published authors. Get your work critiqued there and listen to the comments and suggestions from professionals in the publishing industry. Sometimes, they’re right.
- If you really want to get published, never give up!
To learn how I got published by Random House, read my Breakthrough article from The Writer magazine.
Go here to read about your odds of getting traditionally published.